Monday, September 12, 2016

Women's Rejuvenation Retreat



As I lay naked on the table under a blanket in the attic of a former fish cannery, Sunflower, the massage therapist, assessed my body with her deft, strong hands. 

"I sprained my thumb on my left hand and it is still quite sore," I informed her. "And I broke the fifth metatarsal bone of my left foot last year, but now it has healed." I wanted her to know about these injury sites so that she would be gentle if necessary, and so that she could work her healing magic. 

"How did you sprain your thumb?" she asked. 

"I crashed my mountain bike," I answered, feeling sheepish. 

She gave a sudden laugh. "Were you riding down a mountain?" 

I admitted that yes, I had been riding down a steep trail, although it was more of a big hill than a mountain. Surprised, she wondered how old I was. 

"I am turning sixty this month."

"You don't look sixty. You look much younger. Are you someone who enjoys extreme sports?"

"No," I said. "But I do love all kinds of outdoor activities." 

We went on to talk about how I broke the bone in my foot (I stepped in a pothole and turned my ankle), and about hiking, skiing, and cycling, sports that I regularly engage in, and soccer, one that I have had to give up on because of my knees. In the course of the massage, Sunflower told me that I had strong muscular legs, and that I had beautiful feet with high arches. She asked whether I had developed the strong muscles in my arms by working out in a gym. 

I said that no, I had strengthened my arms by walking with crutches for four months. More recently, my arms have been exercised by carrying my grandchildren about. 

Sunflower, who looked like she was about my age or a little older, also is a skier. She said that she was much like me in terms of the outdoor activities that she enjoys. As we get older, we learn to do the same activities in a more gentle way she suggested. (This is something that I need to learn. I haven't quite accepted that I am not in my twenties any more.) 

It was an excellent massage. I came away from it feeling very relaxed and calm. As well, I felt a sense of love for my body (my beautiful feet!). I seldom think about my body, but just take it for granted. I usually treat my body as if it is merely the vessel that carries my head around so that my brain and ears, eyes, and mouth can do the work they need to do. My experience last fall of injuring my foot and being unable to walk for so many months caused me to begin to question my neglect of and lack of respect for my body. I have begun to open up to learning ways to honour and be kind to my body. 

I am presently attending a women's rejuvenation retreat weekend. On the first day of the retreat, we meditated, did yoga, went for a walk in the rain, dyed silk scarves using natural plant dyes, had a cooking demonstration, and I had the massage described above. As well, we ate lovely, healthy food prepared by a calm, capable chef, and enjoyed a glass of wine or two. 

The retreat is being held at the Cassiar Cannery, near Prince Rupert, BC. There used to be many fish canneries in and near Prince Rupert and Port Edward, and at the mouth of the Skeena River. This cannery was one of the last to close, in 1983. It is a wild and beautiful place. The owners have begun to restore the old buildings, and this is the first year that they have hosted women's retreats. 

Last night and during the morning, there was a wild storm of wind and rain. A mudslide on the the mountain nearby has blocked the road and knocked down the power line. We now have no electricity, cell service, landline, or Internet. We ate dinner by candlelight. The train roars by on the tracks a couple of times a day. We will flag down the train and board it when the retreat ends. It is an adventure, and a wonderful opportunity to meet new friends.

It is also a chance to develop a more holistic awareness and appreciation of my self in this world. Kathleen over at The Best Is Yet To Be blog* has been writing a series of posts on learning to love oneself. For me, perhaps a first step is to acknowledge the physical and spiritual aspects of myself. Those are the parts that I routinely have neglected in favour of intellectual, emotional, and creative components. 

I have strong legs and arms. I have a youthful body. I have beautiful feet. Sunflower says so. 

------------
*As I am writing this on a tablet using battery power and a bare-bones app, with no internet access, I can't provide a link, but the blog is listed in my blog roll. 


6 comments:

  1. This looks like a fabulous retreat! Unfortunately I am not in BC to attend the October retreat, but I will definitely try to attend one of their retreats when they start up again next April (http://www.cassiarcannery.com/experiences/womens-rejuvenation-retreat). Thanks for sharing this!
    Donna
    www.retirementreflections.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, it was a terrific retreat, despite the rainy weekend (after weeks of great weather, apparently) and the mudslide. As we were cut off from the world, it truly was a retreat! Thanks for sharing the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Judy, Her healing magic. Extra like. Incorporating massage helped me work longer as a Dental Hygienist. I find it very therapeutic. Funny, in a not funny way about building muscles when walking with crutches. I agree that we build strength (and need strength) to carry our grandchildren. Interesting about the storm and how it turned into an adventure. I am sure Sunflower knew what she was talking about. Very interesting post and I think some form of retreat is next for me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, this was my first wellness-related retreat. I went with a best friend I have known since early childhood, and we had a wonderful time despite the storm. Another thing we did while there (hard to believe we did all this over the space of a 3-day weekend) was go out in a Tsimshian cedar canoe with a First Nations guide. The rain was pouring down as we paddled along the coast to another Cannery and back again. It was a great way to celebrate my 60th birthday.

      Jude

      Delete
  4. Thanks for your response, and putting this in my radar. I did look the place up and it sounds great on many levels:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the year I went was their first summer of running the retreat at the Cassiar Cannery.

      Jude

      Delete